The Karate Kid
In Part 2 of our Wondertwins co-commission, younger brother Josh dedicates “The Karate Kid” to big brother Adam. And the Shat Crew gets crazy nostalgic over this 1984 martial arts father-son romance. Gene predictably brings his three decades of martial arts experience to the table, while Roger explores the darker side of Mr. Miyagi’s hermit status, Daniel’s mischief, and Daniel’s mom’s conspicuously optimistic behavior.
“The Karate Kid” stands up as a timeless classic, but we noticed a few things we missed as kids: a lackluster score from a legendary composer, hints of racism and sexism, an abundance of soccer, missed food gags, and a real question of who ultimately was the aggressor in the standoff between the bully Johnny and the rebel Daniel. Also, did you know Ralph Macchio was 22 YEARS OLD when this was filmed? Changes the whole movie.
Regardless of whether you loved it or hated it, “The Karate Kid” was long overdue. Strike first. Strike hard. No Mercy.
Plot Summary: “The Karate Kid” Daniel (Ralph Macchio) moves to Southern California with his mother, Lucille (Randee Heller), but quickly finds himself the target of a group of bullies who study karate at the Cobra Kai dojo. Fortunately, Daniel befriends Mr. Miyagi (Noriyuki “Pat” Morita), an unassuming repairman who just happens to be a martial arts master himself. Miyagi takes Daniel under his wing, training him in a more compassionate form of karate and preparing him to compete against the brutal Cobra Kai.
Help Support the Podcast
- Shop / Merchandise: http://shatthemovies.com/shop
- Support with Paypal: http://shatthemovies.com/paypal
- Support With Venmo: https://venmo.com/shatpodcasts
- Shop Amazon With Our Affiliate Link: https://www.amazon.com/?tag=shatmovies-20
- Sponsor’s Listener Survey: http://shatthemovies.com/survey
- Leave an iTunes Review: http://shatthemovies.com/review
- Vote for our Next Movies: http://shatthemovies.com/vote
- Feeds & Social Media: http://shatthemovies.com/subscribe-and-follow
- Leave a Voicemail: (914) 719-SHAT – (914) 719-7428
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Checkout our TV Podcasts: https://shatontv.com/shat-on-podcasts
- Theme Song – Die Hard by Guyz Nite: https://www.facebook.com/guyznite