The Cable Guy (1996)
The Cable Guy Quote: “I learned the facts of life from watching The Facts of Life!” – The Cable Guy
With Big D visiting Gene and Roger in Arizona, this week’s “Shat The Movies” keyword is “friendship.” And what better movie to exemplify friendship than Jim Carrey’s smash ’90s hit?
No, not “Dumb and Dumber” (which actually won in listener voting), but “The Cable Guy,” a movie Roger Roeper can quote start to finish and Gene Lyons never had seen.
We called an audible this week, actually visited Medieval Times in Scottsdale, Ariz., and immediately recorded this candid review of a dark comedy largely unappreciated in its time.
“The Cable Guy” really caught out attention and unearthed some hot topics, including the ethics of hiring sex workers, the dynamics of one-sided friendships, the genius of Ben Stiller and Judd Apatow, the magic of stolen cable, Big D’s dream party, Jim Carrey’s gigantic paycheck, multilayered gags, false accusations, and a possible darker side to Carrey’s character, Chip Douglas.
Oh, and we’re still going to do “Dumb and Dumber.” This podcast isn’t a dictatorship.
Plot Summary: “The Cable Guy” Oddball cable installer Chip Douglas (Jim Carrey) attempts to strike up a friendship with customer Steven Kovacs (Matthew Broderick) by offering him premium channels at no cost. When Steven rebuffs Chip’s frequent need for companionship, Chip goes from a mildly eccentric acquaintance to a full-fledged psycho stalker. Though it’s increasingly apparent to Steven that the cable guy is dangerous, convincing his friends, family and the authorities of that is another matter entirely.
- Android: http://shatthemovies.com/android
- Apple/iTunes: http://shatthemovies.com/itunes
- Twitch: http://shatthemovies.com/twitch
Help Support the Podcast
- Shop / Merchandise: http://shatthemovies.com/shop
- Support with Paypal: http://shatthemovies.com/paypal
- Support With Venmo: https://venmo.com/shatpodcasts
- Shop Amazon With Our Affiliate Link: https://www.amazon.com/?tag=shatmovies-20
- Sponsor’s Listener Survey: http://shatthemovies.com/survey
- Leave an iTunes Review: http://shatthemovies.com/review
- Vote for our Next Movies: http://shatthemovies.com/vote
- Feeds & Social Media: http://shatthemovies.com/subscribe-and-follow
- Leave a Voicemail: (914) 719-SHAT – (914) 719-7428
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Checkout our TV Podcasts: https://shatontv.com/shat-on-podcasts
- Theme Song – Die Hard by Guyz Nite: https://www.facebook.com/guyznite