Dune Quote: “Remember, walk without rhythm and we won’t attract the worm. It will go to the thumper.” – Paul Atreides
No ‘80s movie podcast featuring Kerri Gross would be complete without covering David Lynch’s sci-fi epic “Dune.” But after more than 100 episodes, Shat The Movies couldn’t seem to make it happen.
In walked listener Greg R. Last year, he wowed us all by commissioning “Rounders” for a Shat review. This time, Greg thought it would be hilarious to saddle us with a movie he simply doesn’t get.
We knew Kerri would love it. We knew Gene would groan. And we knew Big D would stumble over every name in the film.
What we’d forgotten in the years since watching “Dune” was the breathtaking outfits, the inventive technology, and the sheer magnitude of the sand worms. And those were overshadowed by the ridiculously bad combat, the utterly incomprehensible plot, and the persistent whispering of obvious internal monologue.
Dune takes itself very seriously, which makes it even more hilarious. In the midst of galactic warfare between Houses, Gene cheers for Baron Harkonnen. Big D sees sex slaves everywhere, and Kerri Gross connects the dots between “Dune” and Iraq while finding her inner Muad’Dib.
We’re all milking cats in the top floor of the Crazy Town Penthouse. So yank your heart plug and fire up your Weirding Module, Arrakis, here we come!
Plot Summary: “Dune” In the year 10191, a spice called melange is the most valuable substance known in the universe, and its only source is the desert planet Arrakis. A royal decree awards Arrakis to Duke Leto Atreides and ousts his bitter enemies, the Harkonnens. However, when the Harkonnens violently seize back their fiefdom, it is up to Paul (Kyle MacLachlan), Leto’s son, to lead the Fremen, the natives of Arrakis, in a battle for control of the planet and its spice. Based on Frank Herbert’s epic novel.
- Android: http://shatthemovies.com/android
- Apple/iTunes: http://shatthemovies.com/itunes
- Twitch: http://shatthemovies.com/twitch
Help Support the Podcast
- Shop / Merchandise: http://shatthemovies.com/shop
- Support with Paypal: http://shatthemovies.com/paypal
- Support With Venmo: https://venmo.com/shatpodcasts
- Shop Amazon With Our Affiliate Link: https://www.amazon.com/?tag=shatmovies-20
- Sponsor’s Listener Survey: http://shatthemovies.com/survey
- Leave an iTunes Review: http://shatthemovies.com/review
- Vote for our Next Movies: http://shatthemovies.com/vote
- Feeds & Social Media: http://shatthemovies.com/subscribe-and-follow
- Leave a Voicemail: (914) 719-SHAT – (914) 719-7428
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Checkout our TV Podcasts: https://shatontv.com/shat-on-podcasts
- Theme Song – Die Hard by Guyz Nite: https://www.facebook.com/guyznite