Good Will Hunting (1997)
Good Will Hunting Quote: “You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late fees at the public library.” – Will Hunting
“Good Will Hunting” won the Best of Matt Damon category among Shat The Movies, and we can see why. Damon didn’t just star in the movie, he co-wrote it with Ben Affleck when the two were just a couple of fresh-faced actors.
This ode to Boston showed us Robin Williams‘ dramatic side, which we later realized was tragic foreshadowing, and it introduced us to a young Casey Affleck before his sexual harassment scandal.
To Kerri Gross, “Good Will Hunting” is a moving emotional journey. To Dick Ebert, it’s the greatest film Shat The Movies has ever reviewed. To Gene Lyons, it’s a brilliant collection of improvised scenes that he predictably wishes were darker.
Other topics covered in this episode of Shat The Movies:
- Minnie Driver’s gigantic Lego head
- Harvey Weinstein’s keen eye for gay scenes
- Matt Damon’s idiot ex-girlfriend and her taste in metal drummers
- Gene’s failure to ever love the way Kerri can
- the best crying scenes in ’90s cinema
- Elliot’s Smith’s crushing soundtrack
- Big D’s belief in bootstraps
- Kerri’s happy ending
- and why Gene can’t get a job with the NSA.
Plot Summary: “Good Will Hunting” Will Hunting (Matt Damon) has a genius-level IQ but chooses to work as a janitor at MIT. When he solves a difficult graduate-level math problem, his talents are discovered by Professor Gerald Lambeau (Stellan Skarsgard), who decides to help the misguided youth reach his potential. When Will is arrested for attacking a police officer, Professor Lambeau makes a deal to get leniency for him if he will get treatment from therapist Sean Maguire (Robin Williams).
Help Support the Podcast
- Support With Venmo – https://venmo.com/ShatPodcasts
- Shop Amazon With Our Affiliate Link – https://www.amazon.com/?tag=shatmovies-20
- Leave an iTunes Review – http://shatthemovies.com/review
- Vote for our Next Movies – http://shatthemovies.com/vote
- Subscribe & Social Media – http://shatthemovies.com/subscribe-and-follow
- Leave a Voicemail – (914) 719-SHAT – (914) 719-7428
- Checkout our TV Podcasts – https://shatontv.com/shat-on-podcasts
- Theme Song – Die Hard by Guyz Nite – https://www.facebook.com/guyznite