Edward Scissorhands Quote: “It’s not heaven he’s from! It’s straight from the stinking flames of hell! The power of Satan is in him, I can feel it. Can’t you? Have you poor sheep strayed so far from the path?” – Esmeralda
Many people forget “Edward Scissorhands” is a Christmas movie. Well, at least it’s a movie with Christmas in it. Or is it simply snow? Actually, it’s just shave ice. But whatever, it’s Christmastime in Shatland, and we’re doing the damn thing.
Tim Burton’s career has been long and flirted with Christmas several times, but few of his movies came close to achieving the magic he bottled up with “Edward Scissorhands.”
It made us laugh with the waterbed scene, cry with the sculpture scene, and marvel at a cast that included Winona Ryder with a heart of gold, Alan Arkin as a loving dad, Dianne Wiest as an angel on earth, Vincent Price in his final role, Anthony Michael Hall as a bully, and of course Johnny Depp.
Gene Lyons and Kerri Gross naturally gushed over this movie, but “Edward Scissorhands” lost a few point with Big D, who loved it as a kid. Where some saw an inventive near-silent performance from Depp, Big D saw an easy acting job. Where some saw Tim Burton at the top of his game, Big D saw the adolescent angst of a suburban guy pandering to counter-culture.
Also on this edition of “Shat The Movies”:
- Was the finale a perfectly dark fairy tale ending or a silly wrap-up with no lessons learned?
- What’s more important: etiquette or hand-marking
- and Big D’s Parable of The Mountain Lion.
Plot Summary: “Edward Scissorhands”A scientist (Vincent Price) builds an animated human being — the gentle Edward (Johnny Depp). The scientist dies before he can finish assembling Edward, though, leaving the young man with a freakish appearance accentuated by the scissor blades he has instead of hands. Loving suburban saleswoman Peg (Dianne Wiest) discovers Edward and takes him home, where he falls for Peg’s teen daughter (Winona Ryder). However, despite his kindness and artistic talent, Edward’s hands make him an outcast.
Help Support the Podcast
- Support with Paypal: http://shatthemovies.com/paypal
- Support With Venmo: https://venmo.com/shatpodcasts
- Shop Amazon With Our Affiliate Link: https://www.amazon.com/?tag=shatmovies-20
- Sponsor’s Listener Survey: http://shatthemovies.com/survey
- Leave an iTunes Review: http://shatthemovies.com/review
- Vote for our Next Movies: http://shatthemovies.com/vote
- Feeds & Social Media: http://shatthemovies.com/subscribe-and-follow
- Leave a Voicemail: (914) 719-SHAT – (914) 719-7428
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Checkout our TV Podcasts: https://shatontv.com/shat-on-podcasts
- Theme Song – Die Hard by Guyz Nite: https://www.facebook.com/guyznite