“WarGames” changed the way ’80s kids looked at video games, computers, and the threat of nuclear annihilation. But in the age of smartphones and wireless Internet, does this 1983 geek-gasm still hold up?
The original Shat The Movies threesome teams up on this episode to discuss Matthew Broderick’s charm, a hotter Ally Sheedy, the difference between code names and acronyms, and drug use among Missile Command personnel.
Gene Lyons gives a history lesson on the 1980 Titan missile disaster, and Roger Roeper goes full Q Anon with his theory that the WOPR supercomputer really was the mind of a sadistic son who felt neglected by his creator.
Big D reveals that he might have forgotten he grew up rich, and we debut our new segment: Shat on Workplace Safety.
Plot Summary: “WarGames” High school student David Lightman (Matthew Broderick) unwittingly hacks into a military supercomputer while searching for new video games. After starting a game of Global Thermonuclear War, Lightman leads the supercomputer to activate the nation’s nuclear arsenal in response to his simulated threat as the Soviet Union. Once the clueless hacker comes to his senses, Lightman, with help from his girlfriend (Ally Sheedy), must find a way to alert the authorities to stop the onset of World War III.
Help Support the Podcast
- Shop / Merchandise: http://shatthemovies.com/shop
- Support with Paypal: http://shatthemovies.com/paypal
- Support With Venmo: https://venmo.com/shatpodcasts
- Shop Amazon With Our Affiliate Link: https://www.amazon.com/?tag=shatmovies-20
- Sponsor’s Listener Survey: http://shatthemovies.com/survey
- Leave an iTunes Review: http://shatthemovies.com/review
- Vote for our Next Movies: http://shatthemovies.com/vote
- Feeds & Social Media: http://shatthemovies.com/subscribe-and-follow
- Leave a Voicemail: (914) 719-SHAT – (914) 719-7428
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Checkout our TV Podcasts: https://shatontv.com/shat-on-podcasts
- Theme Song – Die Hard by Guyz Nite: https://www.facebook.com/guyznite