Safe Men (1998)
Safe Men Quote: “I tried to put my tongue in her mouth and she punched me in the penis.” – Veal Chop
When “Shat The Movies” listener Lucas discovered we wouldn’t be doing a Best of Jewish Mob Movies category, he took matters into his own hands. Equipped with $300 and a brilliantly composed email, Lucas convinced Big D we needed to cover the 1998 sleeper “Safe Men.”
We were amazed to discover one of the strangest films we’ve witnessed. The cast is good: Sam Rockwell, Steve Zahn, Paul Giamatti, Mark Ruffalo, Harvey Fierstein, Peter Dinklage. The script is reasonable. But there’s just something odd about this movie that created a rollercoaster of a conversation among Dick Ebert, Roger Roeper, and Kerri Gross.
Learn what each of your Shat The Movies hosts like to do while drunk at 2 a.m., what it’s like to hang at the VFW hall while elderly women wait to devour your Marine father’s wedding potluck, and how Big D talked Roger out of pursuing a career as a professional event DJ.
The gang also discusses the greatest Sega game of all time, Roger’s improv comedy past, and the fact Dick Ebert was a melodious Hasidic man in his past life. Mazel tov!
Plot Summary: “Safe Men” Sam (Sam Rockwell) and Eddie (Steve Zahn) are just a couple of clueless, untalented singers. But, when they are mistaken for a pair of safecracking geniuses by a mobster named Veal Chop (Paul Giamatti), they are unwittingly sucked into a life of crime. Though they have no idea what they are doing, Sam and Eddie have no choice but to go along with the Mafia’s orders and break into three safes. Things get even more complicated when Sam falls for the daughter of one of their robbery victims.
Help Support the Podcast
- Support With Venmo – https://venmo.com/ShatPodcasts
- Shop Amazon With Our Affiliate Link – https://www.amazon.com/?tag=shatmovies-20
- Leave an iTunes Review – http://shatthemovies.com/review
- Vote for our Next Movies – http://shatthemovies.com/vote
- Subscribe & Social Media – http://shatthemovies.com/subscribe-and-follow
- Leave a Voicemail – (914) 719-SHAT – (914) 719-7428
- Checkout our TV Podcasts – https://shatontv.com/shat-on-podcasts
- Theme Song – Die Hard by Guyz Nite – https://www.facebook.com/guyznite